Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Newbie's First 4 ch electric 24" Guillows Fairchild

Old 02-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Zap
Zapster

Default Newbie's First 4 ch electric 24" Guillows Fairchild

I’ve been trolling around the blog pages of wattflyer.com anonymously now for a while now, admiring all the beautifully built functioning flying models. I never noticed how much of an rc aviation buff I really aspired to be until seeing photos posted by the members here.
I’ve always been around the planes, either in a virtual simulator or lately, using the virtual RC flight simulator attached to my cheap Flysky CT-6B 6Channel radio.
This hobby has long changed from the days when I would follow my uncle around trying to get his gas powered 36” wing span, balsa plane up in the air.
A day of flying was an ordeal! Just the preparation time was huge, from the breakdown of the plane, packing into the car. Then the rebuild at the airfield, with a huge taco box of equipment to get the plane started. I remember the expensive receivers, motorcycle batteries attached to electric motor starters, etc. All to see crash at the end of the day … but what am I saying, all of you already know this.
Well I’m glad to say that I finally created my own profile as a member so I could post my very first pictures of the very first RC stick and tissue airplane built.
I converted my old 24” Guillows F-24 Fairchild balsa plane that was originally rubber band powered, to a new 4 Channel RCAF Argus electric plane!
I know that this size and scale would usually not be recommended for the beginner however, my admiration for the smaller scale trumps any common sense I may have. Plus, I have tennis courts and baseball diamonds within close walking distance that are always empty, begging me to cause some havoc on!
Please enjoy my pictures and feel free to criticize. I’m not very happy about the tissue skin job. I debated about using a stronger material, but at the end of the day the price was right. Outside my own time, I won’t feel so bad if it crashes.
From the posts that I’ve read and that helped inspire this creation, I know that most of you will find the technical details informative. Here they are:
The plane uses :
An 18-11 2000kv Micro Brushless Motor
ESC: Turnigy Plush 10A Brushless Speed Controller 9g
1 x 2.0 gram servo
2 x 1.5g Digital Ultra Micro Servos
7.4V/2S 300 mAh LiPo battery
GWS 5 x 4.3 Propellers

The plane weighs in at 110 grams. (Includes fully charged battery )

The little plane has a lot of power! I don’t think getting it in the air will be a problem. A nice controlled flight, and bringing her back safely will be the challenge!
I’ll let you know how her maiden flight goes. Right now it’s still -23 Celsius. From the deep freeze here, it feels like forever before I’ll get a chance to try to fly.
Wish me luck!
Frank
P.S – I’ve posted a short video on the control surfaces in action. One concern I did have, and never found a conclusive answer for, was how much movement was ideal. In the end, I decided to go with the “Looks good to me” scientific approach. I guess the real test is when the plane is in the air.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fairchild_Argus_4809_C-FGZL.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	179661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fairchild_Argus_4809_C-FGZL-1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	179662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Argus_1.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	775.6 KB
ID:	179663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Argus_2.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	746.9 KB
ID:	179664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Argus_3.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	752.1 KB
ID:	179665  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Argus_4.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	690.4 KB
ID:	179666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Argus_6.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	680.2 KB
ID:	179667  

Last edited by Zap; 02-24-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: omission
Old 02-24-2015, 08:09 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

When converting a FF to RC, the amount of control surface movement is really dependent on the responsiveness desired. Essentially a guided free flight (trainer) would have smaller deflection angles than would be desired for aerobatics.

If a model is stable enough for free flight, its stable enough for use as a trainer.

Be gentle with the sticks... should be fine.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:10 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Looks great! Good luck with the maiden.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:32 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Very nicely done!
If it is at all possible try a test glide over really long grass or a even crop.
The plane is now quite a bit heavier than the original so not quite so crash proof for the initial testing to get the CofG in the right place!
Once you have a steady constant glide (in other words the plane is in a stable flight condition) then the amount of control surface movement you will need to just 'nudge' it about the sky is really very small.
Remember small planes react fast to anything so getting it to glide in a stable manner should extend its life considerably!
Old 02-25-2015, 01:35 PM
Brian VT

Looks nice.
Those are big ailerons so I'd go light on the deflection of those and dial in a bunch of expo. if you have that available. You've got lots of rudder there too so go easy.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:31 PM
Zap
Zapster

Default mini Kodo camera option?

Thanks for the valuable information! I knew you experienced pilots could help me out with some tips! I'll be checking out the weather for a nice calm day to launch a maiden flight.
Hopefully sometime in the spring, until then I'll be doing all my practicing virtually. I've managed to convince my brother to film the maiden flight for me, that way you'll all get to see how well my virtual flying pays off.
I'm getting better at the landings in a simulator, but that of course works when you have a plane that flies nice and steady...

I've been toying with the idea of putting in the little camera from my Kodo mini quad copter in the plane, maybe as a pilot pov camera. I think it would be a lot better footage than what I currently get flying with the Kodo indoors.

Do any of you have any experience with retrofitting a mini camera like the one in the Kodo to your own receiver? I've seen them sold on ebay as spare parts for the quad copter. It would be cool to use them in a plane. I'm just not sure how would you enable the video start/stop.

Anyway, just thinking out loud while I have time until the snow melts and weather gets warmer.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:31 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Should be a good flying model. I built one a few years ago with Spektrum micro bl gear. It's a real floater, compared with other heavier 24" span form-and-stringer models.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqg3GHRJpxk
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fairchild24_Guillows_12.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	179681  
Old 03-01-2015, 02:06 AM
Zap
Zapster

That's a very nice looking model. I'm admiring that skinning job on your Fairchld. May I asked what you used to cover your model?

Nice flight by the way. Is it still flying?
Old 03-01-2015, 03:25 AM
Dan Ogle

Very nice conversion, just take it easy,and it should be fine
Old 03-01-2015, 03:30 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Zap View Post
That's a very nice looking model. I'm admiring that skinning job on your Fairchild. May I asked what you used to cover your model?

Nice flight by the way. Is it still flying?
Thanks. It's still airworthy. Have a good few flights on it. It's covered with white Coverite Microlite, masked and painted with a light Model Masters blue enamel. The covering wrinkles some when painted, but reshrinks well with a high power hair dryer after painting. One thing to mention is it's much easier to fly with a bit of rudder mixing. It still needs a hair more right thrust to fly properly with ailerons which I never got around to tweaking, but with the rudder mix it turns well. Your larger ailerons shouldn't have that issue and would probably be pretty effective flaperons if programmed with individual servos.