Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

A Different Type of Rudder

Old 03-23-2015, 06:59 PM
pcm10xmode

Default A Different Type of Rudder

I built the Stuntcat awhile back because it was a "different" plane and seemed to handle well with good stability in an elevon setup having endplates as rudders. As the winds build, best said, I couldn't put it where I wanted.

Decided to explore putting a movable rudder in front of the prop. As you can see, dropped a hitec 55 servo in the channel hump, grabbed a large servo arm (3") and hotglued a rudder to it and then installed it.

Does it (blockage) reduce the prop's efficiency and does it give 3 axis of control?
Don't notice the difference in power(it ain't a speedster) and gives me full control in the winds. A side note, it improved the "highalpha" control and you can really stear it around. Reason I didn't do sideplates was I would end up tearing it all apart.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	stuntcat rudder 001.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	493.2 KB
ID:	179927  
Old 03-23-2015, 09:02 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Yes it will reduce the prop's efficiency a bit - it would be rather better if the fin was a true streamline profile - I would expect you can probably hear a different prop note when its at full deflection.

I would be more concerned that you are relying entirely on a hot glue joint to hold the fin in place.
Second you are loading the servo bearing in a way it was never intended to take.
Third if anything does fail the fin goes straight into the prop.

Nevertheless a neat solution to give a degree of rudder control.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:05 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Yeah - I hate hot glue. Cool idea though. Let us know how it holds up.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:54 PM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

I think the X-15 used this technique too! Cool eh?
Old 03-24-2015, 04:20 PM
pcm10xmode

Originally Posted by quorneng View Post
Yes it will reduce the prop's efficiency a bit - it would be rather better if the fin was a true streamline profile - I would expect you can probably hear a different prop note when its at full deflection.

I would be more concerned that you are relying entirely on a hot glue joint to hold the fin in place.
Second you are loading the servo bearing in a way it was never intended to take.
Third if anything does fail the fin goes straight into the prop.

Nevertheless a neat solution to give a degree of rudder control.
Agree, if failure, would probably go into prop.
I fly it quite often(precheck it) and have no issues with the hot glue holding it. When I do flybys, no fluttering is taking place when rudder is deflected. With the servo centered on the rudder, deflection forces counteract and reduce the servo's bearing load. I have used this design on other planes and it works.
Grant it, if you reef it around, it would probably destroy itself.
I designed it so that you have 3 axis control in any condition. From here, I know pilots will modify it or try something else.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:09 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

You could make a more durable system, by drilling down through the fuselage and gluing a tube in the hole, then building the rudder with a extended post at the normal spar line. make some kind of cap to hold the rudder in place. Now mount the servo any where you want.

This way the servo is not holding the entire load, it is just working as designed. Also you wouldn't have the risk of glue failure sending the rudder into the prop.

If the tube and post were made from carbon fiber, they would be very light and strong.

The whole thing is just a variation on the 2 piece removable wing system that most aerobatic planes use.

You have a cool idea, I would enjoy watching it fly.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:04 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

"flying" stabilizers have been used for a long time. The Wright Flyer rudders didn't have a fixed fin.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:37 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by pcm10xmode View Post
Agree, if failure, would probably go into prop.
As long as the motor's mounted well, that APC prop should take care of the shredding job without issue.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:47 PM
pcm10xmode

Prop is about 2" from rudder. Will do a video after snow is gone. I use a 7" wide prop so Rpm's are down. It is so sensitive that I doubt that the max angle of deflection(guessing from rudder movement) is about 20-25 degrees.
Hey, it works, why invent the wheel again.