Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

what is theBest warbird parkflyer for a rookie

Old 06-23-2013, 11:37 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Are you referring to a detached foam hinge? The best way I found has been a product called "Welders" glue I beleive Wal-Mart has it. I works great for this app. It's strong yet pliable. Join the wing and detached aileron together and apply a thin bead. Hold together or use painter's masking tape to hold the joint together. Let cure for a day. Good as new.

I must say I admire your bravery if the Zero is your first plane. Not your normal RC trainer and crashes would be expected. But since that's what you have, you may want to try something on landing to avoid cart wheels and nose overs. After you've established final with a nice smooth glidepath with wings level and as a soon as you touch and have chopped throttle completely, give her full up elevator. It will help with the ground effect.

-Hawk
Old 06-23-2013, 05:23 PM
MetalMilitia90
total noob to flight

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Are you referring to a detached foam hinge? The best way I found has been a product called "Welders" glue I beleive Wal-Mart has it. I works great for this app. It's strong yet pliable. Join the wing and detached aileron together and apply a thin bead. Hold together or use painter's masking tape to hold the joint together. Let cure for a day. Good as new.

I must say I admire your bravery if the Zero is your first plane. Not your normal RC trainer and crashes would be expected. But since that's what you have, you may want to try something on landing to avoid cart wheels and nose overs. After you've established final with a nice smooth glidepath with wings level and as a soon as you touch and have chopped throttle completely, give her full up elevator. It will help with the ground effect.

-Hawk
yeah a lot of people have recommended welders glue but a handful have also said that it will melt epo foam

my zero isn't "technically" my first rc plane. i ordered it as my first plane but everybody on the forums strongly suggested i try something else first so i went to my LHS and picked up the parkzone UM trojan while waiting for my zero to arrive. i got maybe a dozen to twenty flights on that before i attempted to take my zero up for the first time. the FIRST time didn't end well. it was windy but i was anxious to finally try to fly it. the wind took it away from me and i panicked and rammed it nose-first into the grass. only broke the cowl halfway off and bent my prop shaft. got that all glued up and straightened the shaft as best i could. took her back up a day or so later and that went phenomenally. all i did was fly in a big lazy lefthand circle, but i kept her in the air and my landing was pretty good for no power on grass. then the next flight didn't end as well. the results from that flight were some broken plastic bits (cannon tip, pitot, aerial) and the cowl (along with the motor) got ripped clean off the fuselage. some more glue and she was good as new. then the third flight ended with a piece of the wingtip coming off along with a tear about 1/3 to halfway along the aileron and a wheel was ripped out of the wing, and here i am asking for aileron fixes
Old 06-23-2013, 05:57 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by MetalMilitia90 View Post
....the FIRST time didn't end well. it was windy but i was anxious to finally try to fly it. the wind took it away from me and i panicked and rammed it nose-first into the grass. only broke the cowl halfway off and bent my prop shaft. got that all glued up and straightened the shaft as best i could. took her back up a day or so later and that went phenomenally. all i did was fly in a big lazy lefthand circle, but i kept her in the air and my landing was pretty good for no power on grass. then the next flight didn't end as well. the results from that flight were some broken plastic bits (cannon tip, pitot, aerial) and the cowl (along with the motor) got ripped clean off the fuselage. some more glue and she was good as new. then the third flight ended with a piece of the wingtip coming off along with a tear about 1/3 to halfway along the aileron and a wheel was ripped out of the wing, and here i am asking for aileron fixes
Which is why people offer advise to get proficient on a proper trainer before taking on a warbird model. Four flights and three bad crashes pretty much proves the point.

Not saying you wont get there eventually, but it could be a painful and expensive process.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:07 PM
JDMJim

I gotta show this off, because it's my first larger RC plane and the only thing I ever replaced have been cowls and props.....The wing is cracked on both sides and repaired, the elevator has been ripped off ( not my fault really, I almost got hit by another plane and I ducked and crashed....) But she's been solid......Retracts are over a year old and the plane is over 2 yeras old....second turtledeck conversion and third paint job since I got hit mid air by another Jug last month....All original electronics as well.....

Old 06-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Ha!!!!! bubsteve

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx5Es0bnulM&list=FLjFN4tBLsWxyAOX0bO7jDfQ& index=1[/media]
Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 AM
MetalMilitia90
total noob to flight

yeah yeah, poke your fun at me. i'm an ok rookie with my zero, just get kinda ballsy with it. i could easily keep it in one piece til i gotta bring her down in the grass, then it gets hairy, but i try to be all fancy and wind up spending time at the dining room table with my glue that's now almost gone. everything's still original and airworthy though! (except that aileron that i still gotta fix)
Old 06-25-2013, 01:15 AM
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

I am nervous about getting my 109 in the air. But I have someone that owns one on that other RC forum who has been helping me a great deal.

Probably be a week or so before I attempt a maiden.

HobbyKing is being slow as hell shipping even from the USA warehouse.
waiting on the battery from them.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:20 AM
JDMJim

my advice is to drive the plane around first. make a few run-ups to get acclimated with its handling. get it up on the mains and cut throttle. that will help you figure CG too.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:07 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
I am nervous about getting my 109 in the air. But I have someone that owns one on that other RC forum who has been helping me a great deal.

Have you re-tried the T-28?
Old 06-25-2013, 02:08 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
my advice is to drive the plane around first. make a few run-ups to get acclimated with its handling. get it up on the mains and cut throttle. that will help you figure CG too.
We used to call that "unplanned flights"...
Old 06-25-2013, 02:28 AM
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Have you re-tried the T-28?
Haven't had a chance yet but hopefully within a week. It will happen before the 109.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:32 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Haven't had a chance yet but hopefully within a week. It will happen before the 109.
Good plan I think that will be a much better experience for you....
Old 06-25-2013, 02:42 AM
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Good plan I think that will be a much better experience for you....
The p40 requires constant attention. It is not hard to fly, but it is not smooth by any means. I have no confidence that it would even fly if not at full throttle.
The T28 should be much smoother, although faster. As long as I get the takeoff right I should be okay.

The 109 has no gear so it is hand launch only. It will have a great amount of torque roll to the left so I'll have to be fast on the sticks without over reacting. It will need to keep up speed in turns, but so does the P40. Like I said, that thing cannot do a lot unless at full throttle. Just like you said lol, it requires a bit extra attention.

Setup is key so I will work hard on that.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:34 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

A tip for you on the 109. The Alfa models are a touch bigger but I have learned to only use about 50-60% power during launch and they behave much better. Might work well with yours as well. And yes you want good launches - and to get on the sticks quickly. Is there anyone around that can launch for you? That can be a lifesaver on a new model.

But I agree that the T-28 will give you a much better experience as it is ROG. I think that will pave a better path for you...

Mike
Old 06-25-2013, 06:59 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

We used to call that "unplanned flights"...
+1
I never was sure of the value of taxi testing. How the plane rolls on the ground is really no indicator of how it will fly in the air and it really says nothing about having the correct CG. In my book all it does is risk getting air-born when you are not prepared or committed to it, which is never a good thing.

But each to their own, whatever works for you.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:32 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Want to get inspired with almost every Warbird from A to Z? Every conflict?

Well, take a virtual tour of the USAF Museum at Wright-Pat near Dayton: http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/full/tour-std.html

-Hawk
Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
+1
I never was sure of the value of taxi testing. How the plane rolls on the ground is really no indicator of how it will fly in the air and it really says nothing about having the correct CG. In my book all it does is risk getting air-born when you are not prepared or committed to it, which is never a good thing.

But each to their own, whatever works for you.
They really serve no value - I agree...
Old 06-25-2013, 05:50 PM
matiac
What, me worry?

I know how that is, I ordered stuff from them a week ago that FINALLY shipped today!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:10 PM
MetalMilitia90
total noob to flight

man i need to get my zero fixed so i can use up what's left of that charge on my battery that's been in the fridge for like a week now, and practice flying of course
Old 06-26-2013, 05:22 AM
JDMJim

taxi testing is important to me. since I do them in a place I can't fly out of, there are no accidental flights. when I get the planes to the field, I don't get surprised by a weird ground loop or anything. the planes react just as I expect. to each their own. but no reason to make it sound like its silly to do...
Old 06-26-2013, 02:43 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

My latest two warbirds: The Dynam 1200mm Spitfire and the Dynam FW-190. Both ready for maiden if the wind will ever die down.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:05 PM
JDMJim

man, I am determined to get another 190 at some point.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:07 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
taxi testing is important to me. since I do them in a place I can't fly out of, there are no accidental flights. when I get the planes to the field, I don't get surprised by a weird ground loop or anything. the planes react just as I expect. to each their own. but no reason to make it sound like its silly to do...
I don't want to make it sound silly - rather risky. Since you don't know the airplane well - you may get a bit too fast and then up in the air. What do you do then? I have just seen that happen time and time again on taxi tests.

I have had new planes in the air with 30% throttle and I am like - O MY!

That is just my experience.

Funny I was talking to a full scale airline mechanic. He said they "used" to do taxi test after certain types of fixes. No pilots in the plane just mechanics doing runup's and taxi tests. They had an incident where the plane LIFTED off the ground! YIKES! They remained calm and landed safely but a lightly loaded plane (no passengers, cargo and limited fuel) they fly quite readily. After that incident they are no longer allowed to do even simple taxi testing. They must always have a pilot in the plane (a huge pain for them as you can imagine).

Mike
Old 06-26-2013, 07:38 PM
JDMJim

I don't want to make it sound silly - rather risky. Since you don't know the airplane well - you may get a bit too fast and then up in the air. What do you do then? I have just seen that happen time and time again on taxi tests.

I have had new planes in the air with 30% throttle and I am like - O MY!

That is just my experience.

Funny I was talking to a full scale airline mechanic. He said they "used" to do taxi test after certain types of fixes. No pilots in the plane just mechanics doing runup's and taxi tests. They had an incident where the plane LIFTED off the ground! YIKES! They remained calm and landed safely but a lightly loaded plane (no passengers, cargo and limited fuel) they fly quite readily. After that incident they are no longer allowed to do even simple taxi testing. They must always have a pilot in the plane (a huge pain for them as you can imagine).

Mike

you are right about that. Usually, my little scratchbuilds will pop up once in awhile....that's usually because the elevator isn't set level or CG is wrong. My bigger planes don't pickup enough speed to get up. It's all about restraint. Usually set the planes to fly on the mains. I have to force them off the ground otherwise. All my planes since fly at the field without issue using my preferred method. The WWI birds I have with skids are the ones I like to drive around slow and work ground handling.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:47 AM
[email protected]

ig otta agree with everyone so far.Speaking from experience. I destroyed a beautiful ME 109 (Very unforgiving). Went back the perfect trainer,a T28 PARKZONE. A good step up after learning a highwing trainer. My over the top enthusiasm and impatience cost me a lot of money and heartache.So take it slow and get in alot of flight time before rushing headfirst into the ground from 100 feet high.(painful to watch)Keep us posted on your progress and happy flying.

Quick Reply: what is theBest warbird parkflyer for a rookie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14939 seconds with 14 queries