General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

What's your newest Plane?

Old 06-16-2013, 06:56 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Thanks....

It is Nitro or Electric but was designed for either. This one was always electric and in fact just completed Saturday. It is going with me to boy scout camp this week. I have to have something to do! LOL

Mike
Old 06-16-2013, 07:16 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Mike,

I didn't know you were a boy scout ! I'm still a Cub. - LOL
Old 06-17-2013, 12:32 AM
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Default Stevens AeroModel Heath LNB-4 UM

Finished her today! Still need to maiden when wind dies.....
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010676.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	169407
Old 06-17-2013, 07:17 PM
JDMJim

My oldest and my newset....

I was painting the cowl and letting the clearcoat dry while I took this pic...
as such...
Old 06-17-2013, 09:01 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

JD, where'd you find a P-40 in pure foam like that? I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in something like that.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 PM
JDMJim

http://www.gwsus.com/english/product/airfly/gws-p40.htm
Old 06-21-2013, 11:42 PM
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Old 06-22-2013, 12:08 AM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
Nice plane ,i just found plans for a big BF-109 and put it on my build list for this winter or next summer next year. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909709
Old 06-22-2013, 12:12 AM
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
Nice plane ,i just found plans for a big BF-109 and put it on my build list for this winter or next summer next year. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909709
Thanks! This is my first non-Horizon plane. The quality is still impressive but instructions are lacking. But the most important thing, CG, is included.

Hopefully Nitroplanes will carry spare parts for a while. Just in case, I am going to stock up on them.

Your plane is going to look great judging from that thread. Hope you don't change your mind!
Old 07-01-2013, 12:01 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

I got an incredible deal on an electric 3DHobbyShop 71" AJ Slick. I wasn't supposed to buy any more planes, but the deal was just too good to pass up. I might make it into the 3kW club with this one. We shall see...

This addiction is just getting worse! A little over two years ago I thought I would get a HobbyZone SuperCub and learn to fly a little and that would be it. Yeah right... That didn't quite work out the way I expected...
Old 07-01-2013, 12:15 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Lol Swede,

And then you find the really good stuff ! Difference between
Christian brothers and Louis the 14th !
Old 07-01-2013, 01:41 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
I got an incredible deal on an electric 3DHobbyShop 71" AJ Slick. I wasn't supposed to buy any more planes, but the deal was just too good to pass up. I might make it into the 3kW club with this one. We shall see...

This addiction is just getting worse! A little over two years ago I thought I would get a HobbyZone SuperCub and learn to fly a little and that would be it. Yeah right... That didn't quite work out the way I expected...
Welcome to the big stuff!!

These guys are recommending the Hacker A60-5S motor. I've got that motor and a Hacker A60-16M motor. Both $$$$ motors will put out the power, and you don't want your fingers anywhere near that prop when its turning.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/71-AJ-Sli...d_p_16310.html

And, here are my threads on those two models:
Giant Scale Power System:
Battery Backup System
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63794

Carl Goldburg Extra 330 Electric Conversion
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59273

Giant Scale electric motors vs Gasoline Engines
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58035

Great Planes Giant Big Stick Electric Conversion
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65052

Giant Scale Cessna Model
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66414
Old 07-01-2013, 02:24 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

The plane came RTF (lightly used) and it features a Motrolfly 4330 along with a Castle 100A HV. Not sure exactly which Castle, but it's fairly recent, so it shouldn't be the..."hot" ones, if you know what I mean. Motrolfly, while about as expensive as Hacker, has become a bit of a favorite within the 3D community, due to their durability and power. I think it also has a HV BEC from Castle. Honestly, I didn't even look that closely. I just noticed it was all titanium gear servos, Motrolfly and Castle so I went for it! I didn't have enough room in my car, so it's at a friend's place right now. I will give a thorough report once I take possession of it...
Old 07-01-2013, 03:08 AM
BBCorvette18

We got a UMX SBACH with the as3x stuff in it and that little thing is a blast to fly. Now were going to have to buy a couple more little guys.

Also got a dynam peaks in the mail last week. Got it all put together and most of the kinks worked out and maidened it this morning. After one flight we are going to replace the stock servos as I was unable to get the plane to trim while in flight and once back on the ground we noticed that the elevator servo wasn't returning to the same spot everytime so out with the stock crap and in with some good stuff in the next couple days.

the good news is it seemd to fly real nice other then not trimming out and has more power then needed so should be able to have lots of fun with it once we get the good servo's in it
Old 07-01-2013, 03:43 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

The plane came RTF (lightly used) and it features a Motrolfly 4330 along with a Castle 100A HV. Not sure exactly which Castle, but it's fairly recent, so it shouldn't be the..."hot" ones, if you know what I mean. Motrolfly, while about as expensive as Hacker, has become a bit of a favorite within the 3D community, due to their durability and power. I think it also has a HV BEC from Castle. Honestly, I didn't even look that closely. I just noticed it was all titanium gear servos, Motrolfly and Castle so I went for it! I didn't have enough room in my car, so it's at a friend's place right now. I will give a thorough report once I take possession of it...
Yeah, that CC ESC recall was several years ago. I shipped mine in for updating in January of that year, and didn't hear from them for three months. That after many emails, and even made a few phone calls to see if they even had it.

And, it suddenly showed up in my mailbox. No explanation, no nothing.

Anyhow, it's been in my giant Big Stick, with over 200 flawless flights on it. So it came out OK I guess.

Never ran across the Motrofly motors before, looks interesting. Just with they'd provide the motor winding resistance, and a few other things in their specs. More and more motor mfg are not providing that information now days.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:45 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Three years ago I bought and flew my first plane - the HobbyZone Mini Super Cub. The LHS guy was all blah-blah-blah about battery chargers and whatnot but I said, "Yeah. All I want is this one little plane to fly around. I'm not interested in more planes, or bigger planes and certainly not in building planes. Just this one little park flyer is all I'll ever need."

Yeah. I now have about 36 planes and helis, and have customized, kit built and scratch built Strykers, flying wings, biplanes and more.

Now I have multiple Txs, battery chargers, saws, a soldering iron, a new table vise, a prop balancer, watt and volt meters, digital scales, 12 kinds of different glue, stacks of foam, boxes of wood scraps, and drawers full of servos, ESCs, wires, connectors and propellers. I buy heavy duty velcro in bulk, and save odd plastic packaging scraps for future builds.

These days, everybody at the LHS knows me by name and misses me when it's been a week since I last dropped in.

I've got a YouTube channel with nearly 200 flight videos taken both onboard and from the ground. I've got an assortment of small HD flight cameras.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:54 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post

Yeah. I now have about 36 planes and helis, and have customized, kit built and scratch built Strykers, flying wings, biplanes and more.

Now I have multiple Tx
Wow, 36 planes, that must really fill up your airplane hanger

FYI, last weekend, we got rained out at a fun fly, and one of that club members invited us to his garage for the Subway lunch.

That guy had a heated garage 50 by 80 feet, concrete floor, three 16 foot high garage doors. You could park three Greyhound buses in it!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:27 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Yes it does, though some of them are tiny little helis an ultra-micro planes.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:41 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Never ran across the Motrofly motors before, looks interesting. Just with they'd provide the motor winding resistance, and a few other things in their specs. More and more motor mfg are not providing that information now days.
You'll love the Motrolflys! If you buy them from Dan at Subsonic Planes, he can custom wind them for you. You basically specify the Kv you want and he'll wind it for you. I have a 3615 in my 51" Slick and a 4315 in my 58" Edge and they're both rockets. Apparently the 4330 is just as insane. As for the resistance, email Dan and I'm sure he can give the numbers you need. It must be really low, though. The little 3615 I have in my 51" Slick comes down barely warm after some pretty hard flying. And that thing pulls almost 1000W!
Old 07-02-2013, 04:46 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

You'll love the Motrolflys! If you buy them from Dan at Subsonic Planes, he can custom wind them for you. You basically specify the Kv you want and he'll wind it for you. I have a 3615 in my 51" Slick and a 4315 in my 58" Edge and they're both rockets. Apparently the 4330 is just as insane. As for the resistance, email Dan and I'm sure he can give the numbers you need. It must be really low, though. The little 3615 I have in my 51" Slick comes down barely warm after some pretty hard flying. And that thing pulls almost 1000W!
Sounds interesting, are they made in the USA If so, that is unusual nowdays.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:15 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Could not resist. Have the Rare Bear and At-6 Texan. Love these little guys and had some spare 1950kv motors and 9g servos laying around. So I pre-ordered the PC-21 from Hobbyb.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Beautiful. Whenever I go ahead and get one of the planes that doesn't come pre-recommended, I get a lemon. So I'll wait to hear from you.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:36 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Good luck with it, Dahawk. Those planes always make me think of one of the B-26's nicknames: prostitute, because those wings look so tiny it has no visible means of support! Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

xmech,
Will do. Based on my experience with the Rare Bear and Texan, these planes are very durable and hold up surprisingly well. Most have some CF re-enforcement running along the bottom side of the wing. Pretty stiff. Very high performing. In fact, the Rare Bear on 4S will surpass almost any edf in terms of raw speed. Scary fast. Can fit easily on the front seat for a quick run and fly. Most everything is interchangeable amongst the line. Same motors, esc. servos. So now I just buy the airframes. The trick is learning how to hand launch them. I also reduce the end points and apply a good amount of expo. Take off on low (50%) and at altitude switch to high. Loads of fun for pretty low entry cost.

-Hawk
Old 07-02-2013, 04:39 PM
road king 97
old hat

[QUOTE=mattman0182;914410]Thanks! This is my first non-Horizon plane. The quality is still impressive but instructions are lacking. But the most important thing, CG, is included.

Hopefully Nitroplanes will carry spare parts for a while. Just in case, I am going to stock up on them.

Your plane is going to look great judging from that thread. Hope you don't change your mind![/QUOTE Naaaa once i decide on scratch building something i most times follow through with it .That one is the 4th scratch build i have picked out for foam but the balsa ones are piling up on me. I have balsa plans for this plane and i might try it in foam but i want one either way . I like it because hardly no one has built one and the crazyer it looks the better i like them . joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0b246f0500629d4104be977d2ed9ca456a98fd29a30c0f5797eaed342a7c6ac45g.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	169697  

Quick Reply: What's your newest Plane?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15701 seconds with 15 queries