General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

What's your newest Plane?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:57 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Oh Baby ! How sweet it is !

Saw one at the field yesterday. There's a young man named Matt who I swear is nearly as good as Joe Smith. He had (4) 3DHS planes with him including the 51" Slick. I now have a SV mentor. Did Ben and company make over your way yet?

Way to go, Swede !
Not yet. The FLI NJ is scheduled for 7/11 -- 7/14. It's going to be awesome! Gary is making his way here and so is Brian "Yak Dude" whom you may have met at the Dallas FLI.

OK, shameless plug here, but anyone in the NY/NJ/PA area needs to know about this event. We're talking some of the WORLD'S best 3D pilots (including Joe "The Guy Who Got Invited By The Prince Of Dubai" Smith and the likes) and a ton of fun. Event thread here:

http://3drcforums.com/showthread.php...ght=washington

Here endeth the shameless plug.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:01 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

If it's anything like we had here in Dallas Ft. Worth and you're a 3D fan, I highly recommend everyone in the area attend. You're in for a treat. Hopefully, you won't have mount floats on your Slick. Looks like you're in for some serious rain in the next couple of days.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Chucksolo69

Just got my new TechOne Profile P-51 Mustang from NitroPlanes. I can't believe you get EVERYTHING in the box including plane, servos, motor, ESC, horns, control rods, prop and servo extensions for less than $75.00 shipped. Even the servo mounting holes are precut. This should go together in a couple of hours. Nice.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:45 AM
yorkiepap

Hey mattman,
I have different rating ESC's on hand just in case I have an issue with the stock one. So far, all the ARF's/PNP's I have gotten have not had any ESC issues. I will change one if I change motor or prop that increases wattage/amps. I always start with the complete stock setup to determine improvements/mods I feel need done after the maiden & a couple flights.

Denny
Old 06-14-2013, 04:10 AM
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Originally Posted by yorkiepap View Post
Hey mattman,
I have different rating ESC's on hand just in case I have an issue with the stock one. So far, all the ARF's/PNP's I have gotten have not had any ESC issues. I will change one if I change motor or prop that increases wattage/amps. I always start with the complete stock setup to determine improvements/mods I feel need done after the maiden & a couple flights.

Denny
Cool stuff.

I really like the mini FW190 from FMS. but I have heard such terrible things about them that I will not get one.

Have you chosen a favorite manufacturer? In other words, FMS or Dynam? Horizon?

I ask because you have a large variety.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:20 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I think I've run the gamut. I've had FMS/Airfield. Parkzone, GWS, Thundertiger, Dynam, Durafly, 3DHS, Phase 3, JPowers and now Art-tech. All have their plusses and minuses in build quality. For best bang for the buck, I'm really impressed with Dynam and Art-Tech. Can never go wrong with the Horizon offerings though their line-up of brands, while being high quality and well supported by LHS's is rather expensive and sometimes over-rated. My two cents.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:50 PM
yorkiepap

Hey Matt,
Like dahawk, I do find a lot of favor with FMS/Airfield & Dynam as I have them the most. I do a lot of homework prior to making any purchase by simply reading the forums/threads regarding any particular model. You will find that these postings will reveal any defects/deficiencies, mods that will improve power, structural integrity, or flight time, & will allow you to decide whether you want to invest the $$$ or time to make the model to your acceptance as a value. You will find that ALL models will need some sort of "tweaking"....just the "nature-of-the-beast". Just be a smart & informed purchaser. Don't hesitate to get opinions here or another forum regarding any interest you have. Most responses will be honest & provide individual input validated by their experience level.

Denny
Old 06-14-2013, 05:06 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
Cool stuff.

I really like the mini FW190 from FMS.
I've been studying the FW-190 offerings myself for a while: Flyzone, TopRC, Dynam, FMS and now Parkzone. Pricewise, the FMS version is in a different category. Biggest of the bunch. Parkzone's new model looks good but by the time you add the retracts, you're in +$250 territory. The TopRC FW-190 sold through HK is interesting with all the creature features but not very scale with its stubby legs and a lot of mods required for grass field operations. I'm leaning towards the 1270mm Dynam version even though it's 4S. Much more scale looking and the LG forward rake mod is far less complex than the TopRC which door sequencers. I have the Dynam Grand Cruiser twin C-310 and am impressed with the value: Quality, Fly-ability, Price point.

I wish Art-Tech would come out with one. I'm extremely impressed with the 1300mm AT-6 Texan I bought through Motion RC. A lot of plane for the money.

Patiently awaiting Grayson to get them back in stock. Not a fan of Nitro.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:23 PM
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Well you guys will crucify me because it is from nitroplanes. But aside from shipping, it was a good price. And now there are spare parts available for it.
It is a copy of the Kyosho line.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a387-21792-bf109-arf.html
Old 06-15-2013, 04:41 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Cute- Let us know how she flies. I like the fact that it has stand where you can place it on your desk. Interesting that it's a 2S.

Good luck !

-Hawk
Old 06-15-2013, 05:03 PM
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Cute- Let us know how she flies. I like the fact that it has stand where you can place it on your desk. Interesting that it's a 2S.

Good luck !

-Hawk
Thanks! Well I am not looking for a speed demon. And the size of the plane is just right so that I can fly it anywhere.

Would this be a bad idea?
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up...iver-G-656.htm

another option but far more expensive
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...eiver-SPMAR400
or if I want to wait a month for it to arrive
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Failsafe.html

decisions :/
Old 06-15-2013, 11:57 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I stepped in it big time today. Bought myself a couple of Father's Day presents. Went and got two more warbirds from Nitroplanes. The 1200mm Dynam Spitfire and the 1270mm Dynam FW-190. So now, I have American, British and German warbirds to fulfill that part of my bucket list. Saved 6% with the code pricepickle. They will probably arrive when I'm out of town. Yikes!

Old 06-16-2013, 12:13 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Maiden done! I think I'm gonna like it! I was comfortable going low on the second flight!

Old 06-16-2013, 12:20 AM
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

I stepped in it big time today. Bought myself a couple of Father's Day presents. Went and got two more warbirds from Nitroplanes. The 1200mm Dynam Spitfire and the 1270mm Dynam FW-190. So now, I have American, British and German warbirds to fulfill that part of my bucket list. Saved 6% with the code pricepickle. They will probably arrive when I'm out of town. Yikes!

did they rape you on shipping too?
Old 06-16-2013, 12:26 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Lost count of my fleet and what am I working on now?

Hobby Zone Super Cub.

Bought the foam parts, landing gear and cowl...
grabbing random old stuff to make it fly.
A couple of lost label Futaba micro servos
Dynam "22" (22 mm od, 22mm bell length) outrunner Forgot its KV.
Some old lost label ESC. (lets see if that works)

Pics later
Old 06-16-2013, 12:35 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
did they rape you on shipping too?
Yep, as usual. That's where they are printing money. Thought I had seen a free shipping deal somewhere but could not find it.. Charged me $43,00 for both planes. The 6% added discount helped to offset that slightly. Hands full with arfs to build-out, mod and maiden. Haven't even started on the Super Vyper yet. Maidened the rebuilt Phase 3 EF-16 yesterday. Flew on rails. I think I'm set till Christmas.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:38 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

I got the P-51 and Me-262 from that series.

Me-262 is just about perfect right out of the box. Just needed CG pushed back and care with throttle on takeoff. I also added some cooling for battery and ESCs.

P- 51 comes with 3S "2200" mah (same size as my 1800's) but needs the weight of my 3S 4000 mah. It might be better with 4S 2500 to 3000. First RTF that I thought was too light because it needed a steep dive when gliding with original battery and glides much better with the 3S 4000.
I also opened the chin air scoop and sort of opened the belly air exit (see pictures of full scale)

This series of planes has a reputation for needing some cooling air openings to be made in the foam also unbalanced spinners and props.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:40 AM
basant

Default hey

I plan on converting it to brushless when I get it , Looks like a sweet looking plane and a Decathlon , I Cant wait to get it , ordered it last night, i'll keep you all posted on how it is when I get her in.[/QUOTE]
Hey!!! m making a RC helicopter,,, but not getting any idea...

I calculated the assuming rpm =3000, blade area = 7X2 cm. total 4 blades...
but getting very low value of the lift, can u please help me, to tell me correct procedure....
Old 06-16-2013, 12:47 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Swede,

Your 3DHS Slick looks great !

Fred- Thanks for the tip. Yes, Dynam doesn't do a good job on prop and spinner balancing. I have the C-310. Was pitiful. But I like their planes generally. Will have to do a forward rake mod for grass field handling. No big deal. The Fw-190 calls out for 4S which is fine. The Spit is set up for either but will need a higher capacity esc for 4S. I have a few 50's laying around.

I was just going to go with the butcher bird and then saw this inspiring youtube vid today: http://youtu.be/ie3SrjLlcUY That guy had brass you know whats
Old 06-16-2013, 01:58 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The 190D has always been high on my list ... had a Rojair 190 years ago .. magic.

Nigel
Old 06-16-2013, 04:27 AM
JDMJim

make sure you up the motors an esc's too. the 650kv motors from their stunt planes is a much better fit. run big batteries in the 190 and keep your speed up or she'll stal over and over and over...I have up on mine and traded it...
Old 06-16-2013, 04:43 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Jim,

Sorry you didn't like your 190. I have not heard too many complaints about either. Everything I have in my squadron stalls with low air speed and high AOA. I guess your suggesting that the FW-190 is more prone to stalls than others?

To me, this was a no brainer. I bought two decent scale looking planes with retracts, etc, for what I paid for my PZ T-28 two years ago.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:01 AM
JDMJim

it was the weirdest thing with that plane. be going along just fine and level and bam! in a spiral. I never could figure it out. So now I know to purchase them as airframes and guy the stock stuff for something with more punch just in case. I thought I was losing my mind...Cuz I can fly....My PZ Alby got taken out last week by a downdraft( eddy currents across runway). talk about bummed...plane just lost lift. I was coming in to land but picked up too much speed on my approach. so as I increased power, the tail dropped out...

but I just say be aware of what you're getting into....limited replacement parts. better know how to build with foam cuz cowls dont come separate...etc etc
Old 06-16-2013, 03:03 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Well my good friend moved back in the metroplex and his son is interested in RC. His dad and I started 36 years ago flying rockets and RC and his 12 year old son is interested.

So I finished a Cloud Ranger I had and he will be learning on that. Not the best trainer but it will do. Thought I would do a PT-19 scheme on it.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	169398   Click image for larger version

Name:	cra.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	169399   Click image for larger version

Name:	crb.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	169400   Click image for larger version

Name:	crd.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	169401  
Old 06-16-2013, 04:58 PM
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Well my good friend moved back in the metroplex and his son is interested in RC. His dad and I started 36 years ago flying rockets and RC and his 12 year old son is interested.

So I finished a Cloud Ranger I had and he will be learning on that. Not the best trainer but it will do. Thought I would do a PT-19 scheme on it.

Mike
I really like that paint scheme a lot. I always have. I think that also comes on the P26 Peashooter. As far as I know, HK is the only company that makes a P-26. So I will not be adding one any time soon.

Was that a nitro turned electric? Nice looking trainer lol.

Quick Reply: What's your newest Plane?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15785 seconds with 17 queries