Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Horizon's NEW UM Mustang

Old 04-27-2013, 05:44 PM
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Default Horizon's NEW UM Mustang

Was browsing their site and noticed that they had in fact redesigned the plane. And of course, it has AS3X. I will not buy one but I figured I'd share.

Looks like ill be turning to FMS for sure for a BF109. :/

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-PKZU2480
Old 05-07-2013, 08:30 PM
matiac
What, me worry?

So...what you're telling me is, in addition to the U.M. P40, NOW I have to get the U.M. P51?? OK!
Old 06-22-2013, 01:05 AM
GBLynden

Originally Posted by matiac View Post
So...what you're telling me is, in addition to the U.M. P40, NOW I have to get the U.M. P51?? OK!
Yep!

Old 06-22-2013, 01:10 AM
GBLynden

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
Was browsing their site and noticed that they had in fact redesigned the plane. And of course, it has AS3X. I will not buy one but I figured I'd share.

Looks like ill be turning to FMS for sure for a BF109. :/

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-PKZU2480
I would also like them to do a full parkflyer sized updated P-51.....one with landing gear perhaps.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:15 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Retracts at this scale are going to be a pain in the

They will add significant weight.
They will be easily damaged.

Larger scale retracts are enough of a main to deal with. I have servo operated, pneumatic and electric retracts from the little GWS to some big Robarts for a 30+ lb mode and the bigger they are the easier they are to deal with.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:23 PM
GBLynden

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Retracts at this scale are going to be a pain in the

They will add significant weight.
They will be easily damaged.

Larger scale retracts are enough of a main to deal with. I have servo operated, pneumatic and electric retracts from the little GWS to some big Robarts for a 30+ lb mode and the bigger they are the easier they are to deal with.
Yeah, there is an uphill battle for retracts with a micro for sure. I was talking about the parkflyer sized Mustang in my post above.

The LG that comes with this plane is pretty robust actually. Look at my first landing here:

Old 07-20-2013, 09:52 PM
GBLynden

Have a look at this to see how it performs in gusty wind that keeps changing direction. It shows off its personality pretty well here too:

Old 07-24-2013, 05:45 AM
GBLynden

Here is another video taken from the same day that shows how easy it is to fly inverted with this plane:

Here is a video that shows how easy it is to fly inverted with this plane:

Old 07-28-2013, 11:43 AM
matiac
What, me worry?

Didn't get the Mustang (yet), but DID get the U.M. P40, and despite all the bad press about the plane being under-powered? We don't think so, it'll fly circles around the U.M. Spitfire, I hear-tell the Mustang's even faster! They'd be even better yet if Horizon would just put brushless systems in these things already! They do it with the S Bach 342, why not the Warbirds too? I dunno about you guys, but I want something I'm not gonna have to worry about ripping apart every 30-or-so flights to change out brushed motors...already ruined my U.M. Corsair trying, and that really sucks because that was a great flying plane, and now it's junk because of a lousy brushed motor...
Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 PM
GBLynden

I agree that the brushed motors have to go. I am happy that your P-40 has worked out well for you, however. I wish the brushed motors were brushless so everyone would have a good chance of receiving consistent performance out of their planes.

When you get the Mustang, please post your thoughts on it (good or bad) in here to better help the people decide if this plane is for them or not. Obviously I love mine, but I may have just been lucky.

GB

PS: I love your sig!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:51 AM
matiac
What, me worry?

I took it from an old wooden sign my Mom made for my boat I used to own, and replaced "boat" with "RC Hobby", but it's true at any rate. Jeez, in the little over 2 years me and my Boy have been doing this, I'll bet we have over 6000 dollars in planes and helicopters, but the time I get to spend with him is priceless, and I do believe he's more into it than I am!
Old 08-04-2013, 07:02 AM
GBLynden

Originally Posted by matiac View Post
I took it from an old wooden sign my Mom made for my boat I used to own, and replaced "boat" with "RC Hobby", but it's true at any rate. Jeez, in the little over 2 years me and my Boy have been doing this, I'll bet we have over 6000 dollars in planes and helicopters, but the time I get to spend with him is priceless, and I do believe he's more into it than I am!
Nice!