ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Hawk Stick

Old 05-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Default Hawk Stick

Kids... whaddya gonna do with them?

So my 8yr old son did his first take off and landing sets this weekend at the Spring Fling. With his slow stick he was able to do 3 flights take off to landing, with the #2 flight with NO input from Dad! #3 got a bit windy, and I took over and turned it away from the pits, and gave control right back, so only a minor bobble.

Not bad.

So, were driving home and I ask Richie "So, what's the next airplane for ya? What are you interested in?"

The T-28 looks good to him, he's been thinking about the Easy Star and some other glider types, but he knows he wants ailerons for sure.

We get home, and I start to unload the camper and as I'm hanging the Slow Stick, I see the wing from the T-45 Goshawk sitting on the shelf.. (uh oh, there go the wheels spinning again!)

A few minutes later, presto... We have the new Aileron Trainer ready to go!

Pretty it isnt. Unique it is. A viable aileron trainer? We'll see!

Franken Stick is what it looks like, but that kid of mine has a good wit about himself, and coined the name "Hawk Stick".

The name fits, the wing fits and it balances. This weekend will be fun for him!

This is what it started as:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FILE0007.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	101365   Click image for larger version

Name:	FILE0008.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	101366  

Last edited by Nitro Blast; 05-24-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

8 year old solo pilot , good for him. My boy was 9. Now he eats sleeps and talks nothing but R/C planes. The pilots we fly with give him crash damaged planes and he's gotten real good at repairing them into flyable aircraft. His solo flight was a rebuilt Stryker of all things.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

My grandson is 8 and I had hi hopes for getting him into the hobby. We've been working on the sym which he loves. The problem is - his favorite thing to do is crash! I got him an AirHogs bipe and its the same thing. He loves to crash more than anything else!
Old 05-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
My grandson is 8 and I had hi hopes for getting him into the hobby. We've been working on the sym which he loves. The problem is - his favorite thing to do is crash! I got him an AirHogs bipe and its the same thing. He loves to crash more than anything else!

Larry, I too had difficulty with that 'fun'!

My stratagy was to just walk away. Let him have the fun of crashing, but tell him, he cant have the real TX in his hand until he can show you he can take off and land.

The simulator is a game for them. I honestly struggled to bite my tongue so I could just let him learn the feel on his own. He also loves the cockpit view, but I know that does not help him either.

When it came to the real deal, he didnt want to crash HIS airplane, so there was no problem in that arena.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Larry3215

Thats pretty close to my plan. Let him enjoy things as he pleases for now. Maybe later this summer he will get to build a plane that is all his. Im hoping that he will change his mind about the crashing then
Old 05-20-2009, 03:32 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

James has learned crashes are a part of it. When he tried taking off a Funtana X ,that he got for Xmas, on it's 3rd flight he aborted the take off and cracked it up pretty bad. I felt foolish when it up set him so much he cried. Well now he got a replacement and he's very cautious about risking the safety of his models. To the point if I'm flying them in windy conditions he insists I land them right away. LOL
Old 05-20-2009, 03:36 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Cool Man! My son was 9 when he first solo'd his GWS Pico Cub.

He is now 13 and his main bird is a E-Flite Diamante 25e with a Power 32 in it!

I am so glad he has stayed with it and enjoys the hobby with me. It makes it just that much more fun to have him along.

Good for you guys Nitro, keep it up!
Old 05-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Default Hawk stick flight report!

What a freaking hoot!

The plane is flat out amazing! I am not going to change a thing.

I took off, trimmed it out (real minor stuff) and clicked the TX switch to hand it over to my son Richie.

What can I say, the kid is a natural. Flew it 5 flights in wind that was scaring others away. After the 2nd flight, he did 3 flights from Takeoff, and landed it for his last battery of the day.

Not a bad way to maiden a 'freak'.

He loves it, it flies real real nice, and I have a bit of time before he's mastered this aileron trainer and have to replace it.

GOOD DAY AT THE FIELD! PROUD PAPA!

Name:	FILE0009.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	101712   Click image for larger version

Name:	FILE0010.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	101713  

Last edited by Nitro Blast; 05-24-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Larry3215

Congrats to both pilots!

I can just imagine how you feel. Hope he is as excited as Dad is
Old 06-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Default Hawk Stick V 2.0

Funny how things work. Richie and I are talking as we head home from school Tuesday, and I'm telling him about the Slow Stick. Phoenix FEAR is coming up, and I need something to 'light up' for the night flights. I have lit up the slow stick with sticky lights and velcro, and that was why I was letting him know that when I go to Phoenix, I'll take the Slow Stick (his) with me. He says no problem, but then we start talking out loud...

New slow stick $25 (no power needed)

DING! Light bulb comes on....

Lets build a new slow stick, and use the Hawk's wing. I figure we can cut the rudder and elevator to match more closely the wing. This gives me a slow stick for lights. So we go to SureFlight hobbies here in SD, get a slow stick and head home.

As the kit comes out of the box, the ideas start flowing. Its nice to have a young perspective! Richie says he wants a steerable tail wheel and something a bit more acrobatic.

I assemble the Empennage and started pondering how to cut it up to look nice, and DING! that darn light bulb again...... I hear Obi Wan speaking from the grave.... "Use the force Jim...use the set from the original Goshawk". Man, what a great idea! So I run to the 'scrap pile' and sure enough, the stuff is useable!

I never gave the Slow Stick a second thought before. Now, I realize the simplistic beauty of a stick type plane. CREATIVE FREEDOM!

Here she is, all ready for flight!
Modifications include:

Steerable Tailwheel
Split Elevator
Short Fuse
Goshawk flying surfaces (increased rudder)

Flight Set:
Hyperion 2213-12 motor
Castle Phoenix 35 controller
Hitec Electron 6 RX
Hitec HS 81 Servos
APC 10 x 3.5 prop

Hopefully we will have a flight report this weekend, I'll get Nitro Blast Jr. to post his thoughts!

Name:	FILE0011.jpg
Views:	950
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	103641   Click image for larger version

Name:	FILE0012.jpg
Views:	2796
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	103642   Click image for larger version

Name:	FILE0013.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	103643   Click image for larger version

Name:	FILE0014.jpg
Views:	1177
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	103644   Click image for larger version

Name:	FILE0015.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	103645  

Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 PM
Larry3215

Nicely done!
Old 06-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Thumbs up Thanks

That's neat!
Sure gave me an idea or three for my grandson.

Standing By,
SJ
Old 06-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

What a great fathers day gift I got today. A perfect flying day with my oldest son.

Richie flew the Hawk Stick 2.0 today, and really loved it.

All I did was take off, trim it, flop it over inverted and do a pass. I landed it, and gave it right to him. He took off in 2 feet, and went vertical hooting all the way.

Multiple aileron rolls, Split S's (inside and outside) Loops like crazy, and even about 200ft of INVERTED FLIGHT out of him today. It was too windy for him to want to land, so I took over the 'bring it back to earth' chores today.

He got in 7 flights today. Thats a lot on one airplane in my book. The Hawk Stick 2.0 flies amazingly well. Inverted requires just a touch of down to hold, changing the wing incidence made all the difference there.

Even in 10~12mph winds, he was having a great time. The roll rate is improved, the thing turns on a dime, and leaves change. SUPER SHORT COUPLED! It will loop in a 10 ft circle.

Richie went vertical, and I told him to slowly back out of the throttle, and he even got a few seconds of hover before it fell out. Man was that a kick for him!

His flying skills are there. I didnt ever have to make a decision for him, no more "you are getting a bit out" or "make a turn without losing altitude", or "lets bring it back", he's making all the right decisions now. When he rolled over and held inverted, I said "whoa man, what are you doing?" he replied "I wanted to see how well it flew inverted", I said "next time tell me before you do that and I wont freak out!" All that time, I still never took control. I let him push through it, thinking he had made a mistake when he was just acting like dad, and WRINGING IT OUT! Atta boy.

I hope all you dads had the Fathers Day I did. Made me proud today.

I think one of the biggest reasons he loves this darn plane is the steerable tailwheel. When I taxied it back today, he said "now THATS an airplane". Apparently, taxiing around is important to a kid.

Name:	FILE0051.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	103973  

Last edited by Nitro Blast; 06-22-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:15 AM
Larry3215

You're a lucky dad
Old 06-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Nitro Blast Jr.
Pilot of FrAnKiN pLaNe

Smile

The plane flies like a charm, I was surprised about the type of altidude that the plane can get. BEST PLANE EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Nitro Blast; 07-10-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:11 AM
HEMICUDA

Nitro (sr),

That's awesome! You know, wouldn't that be a great buyers club #7???

Hemicuda
Old 07-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Default Hawk Stick 2.5

I have been keeping everyone updated as to this fun little plane, so here are the latest mods. I didnt like the slow stick looking landing gear, so we shortened them down, and added real wheels.

Looks much more fitting, and now it does not blow over in the wind when sitting on the ground.

Name:	Hawk Stick 2 (2).jpg
Views:	877
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	105058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk Stick 2 (4).jpg
Views:	448
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	105059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk Stick 2.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	182.1 KB