Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

HYPER MINI BEE 100+ mph ? Hope so

Old 12-22-2007, 11:06 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Talking HYPER MINI BEE 100+ mph ? Hope so

Hi Everyone I never Flown a Wing Before, Sooooooo I just have to try one, I bought a Windrider Mini Bee from Atlanta Hobby, Its A Nice little kit, It comes with a Cute Little Brush Motor and Prop, and has a carbon spar molded into the Wing, Stock it Should be a NICE slow flying Wing, BUT , I NEVER EVER DO ANYTHING NICE I ALWAYS DO IT ROUGH Ok, thats The Tina Turner in Me Sooo Here is What I am Going to do, I looked at Dons RC Mini Bee, Don uses that wing for testing his wicked motors, and has a Mini Bee flying at 106 mph, Hmmmmmm Lets see, I have Dons wicked motor, a strong lipo and a Mini Bee Soooo I am going to build it like Don did, with the wicked Motor, Here is What I did to it to be able to take a stronger motor and more pressure on the wing,

1. I cut out a channel, and epoxied a 5mm carbon fiber tube towards the
back of the wing, it already has CF at the front, but needs it at the
back to take out the flex from the wing.
2. cut out the center part of the wing to make room for a 3cell 1600 mah
20 C lipo and a 40 amp ESC.
3. mounted the motor as far forward as possible to avoid having to add
too much weight in the front, for the CG, also epoxied some plywood
at the rear to mount the motor mount too.
4. sanded smooth the top and bottom of the wing to remove the casting
dimples.
5. I will be adding a small keel/ skid to the bottom of the wing, to have
something to hold on to when hand launching, and to have a skid
when landing, so the bottom of the wing does not get to badly torn up

Will be adding some more pics as the build goes along, Take care, Chellie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wing 001_1.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	49955   Click image for larger version

Name:	wing 004_1.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	49956   Click image for larger version

Name:	wing3 001_1.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	49957   Click image for larger version

Name:	wing2 002_1.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	49958   Click image for larger version

Name:	wing2 001_1.jpg
Views:	1476
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	49959  

Click image for larger version

Name:	wing2 003_1.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	49960  
Old 12-22-2007, 11:12 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Here is a link to Dons Rc if anyone is interested in Getting a Wicked motor

http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?act...d&productId=12
Old 12-22-2007, 05:04 PM
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

Good luck with it Chellie... wings are a blast. Once you have one, you will want more!

The Wicked motors are nice too. I have a couple of them Im playing with.

Laine.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:59 PM
HydroFoamNut

Thanks for posting the pictures, looking forward to seeing how you think it flies.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:58 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by lmopar69 View Post
Good luck with it Chellie... wings are a blast. Once you have one, you will want more!

The Wicked motors are nice too. I have a couple of them Im playing with.

Laine.
Hi Laine After seeing your Giant Wing, I just had to try one, I am also looking at the SlegdeHammer too, its bigger, So its easier to see at a distance, I think this wing should be fun, and have some different flying Characteristics than what I am used too, so its a learning experiance for me too, Take care and have a great weekend, Chellie
Old 12-22-2007, 09:02 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by HydroFoamNut View Post
Thanks for posting the pictures, looking forward to seeing how you think it flies.
Hi Hydrofoam Nut This wing should be a lot of fun, I just hope I am able to fly it We shall see I enjoy trying new and different planes, it just helps to make me a better pilot, I Hope Take care & have fun, Chellie
Old 12-23-2007, 01:41 AM
woolebugr
fighter of gravity

I purchased a Slingblade Pro GLH from Ohio Combat that my wife will be giving me for Christmas. I am going to use the Wicked Jr. motor on that one. I am looking forward to hearing how your's does with the Wicked 450 motor. Only 3 more days 'till Christmas!!! I can't wait!:p
Old 12-23-2007, 04:02 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by woolebugr View Post
I purchased a Slingblade Pro GLH from Ohio Combat that my wife will be giving me for Christmas. I am going to use the Wicked Jr. motor on that one. I am looking forward to hearing how your's does with the Wicked 450 motor. Only 3 more days 'till Christmas!!! I can't wait!:p
Kewl , I used this Wicked motor on my Pusher jet, and it was a lot faster than my last motor I had on it, I would say about 75+ mph, on a profile foamy jet, that has a lot of drag to it, so I think it will do very well on this wing, I am using a 4.75x4.75 apc e prop, a 1600mah lipo 3 cell thats rated at 20c and 32 amps, and a 40 amp esc, later I would like to try a 4 cell lipo but first I have to get good at flying this wing Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 12-23-2007, 04:06 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

And Welcome to Wattflyers Woolebugr, I just noticed that your new here, This is a great forum, lots of super nice people here, and smart too, take care, Chellie
Old 12-23-2007, 04:17 AM
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

I hate those 4.75x4.75 props, and the 5x5 apc's. They just dont seem to work for crap for me. I ran one on my Wicked motor and hated it. I think its the shape of the blades that does it.

I like the APC 5.1x4.5 MUCH MUCH better. It has a different shape than the 4.75 and the 5x5 does, and a ton more thrust. More speed too.

Try one and compare them. You will see what I mean.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPJG9&P=7
Old 12-23-2007, 04:29 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I hate those 4.75x4.75 props, and the 5x5 apc's. They just dont seem to work for crap for me. I ran one on my Wicked motor and hated it. I think its the shape of the blades that does it.

I like the APC 5.1x4.5 MUCH MUCH better. It has a different shape than the 4.75 and the 5x5 does, and a ton more thrust. More speed too.

Try one and compare them. You will see what I mean.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPJG9&P=7
Hi Laine Thats what I kind of thought too, I was looking into getting a Graupner prop, I just did not think that the apc e prop, thats so narrow and thin at the tip, was going to give a lot of thrust, Thank you for the info, Chellie

Ps 2 - 5.1 x 4.5 props on order from Tower Thanks Again, Chellie

Last edited by CHELLIE; 12-23-2007 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:09 AM
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

More than happy to help out. I think you'll like those props on the Wicked motor much better. You'll be happy you ordered them I think. If not, I'll take em!

Laine.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:09 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Talking Almost Ready

Hi Everyone I did a little more work on the Wing today, after I took my grandsons xmas shopping, then bought them some ribs, they were pretty happy with that Ok back to the Wing :p here is what was done today

1. I went to the LHS and bought some balsa elevator to replace the soft
spongy foam elevons that came with the kit, if you look at the first pic
and see how flexable the foam is, well that will not be very good at
100 mph Kosh also mentioned to me to chang it with balsa, and
I did not hesitate to do so
2. I added some white stripes to the top, and one lime green stripe on
the bottom for orentation, hot glued in the fins on the side of the wing
and installed the control horns in the elevons, and adjusted them, I
had to figure out again how to use the mixing controls on my radio
that can be a pain sometimes
3. I just need to go to the auto parts store, and get some of those stick
on wheel weights, to adjust the CG with, I forgot to get them today
Oh well,

its almost Done, I also need to add a small skid under the wing to hand
launch it with, and to keep it from getting scraped up on the bottom
when landing, here are some more pics, Enjoy, Chellie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bee 002_1.jpg
Views:	980
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	50036   Click image for larger version

Name:	bee 003_1.jpg
Views:	8152
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	50037   Click image for larger version

Name:	bee 004_1.jpg
Views:	10023
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	50038   Click image for larger version

Name:	bee 007_1.jpg
Views:	3073
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	50039  
Old 12-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Hi Chellie ,
your new wing is coming along great. Good step by step pictures..
Old 12-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Looks great and smoking fast without the real smoke we all hope. Because of its size don't let it get to far away from you the first few flight. That battery looks nice and tight and hope its held in with Velcro because ejecting one at speed can wreck your afternoon. Very nice work and can't wait to hear how it flies.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:56 PM
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

Looks great Chellie! Nice work. One thing I noticed in the last pictures. The winglets are pretty much flush with the bottom of the plane. If you find that it kinda "waggles" along in the air, droop them below the bottom of the tips about 1/4 -1/3. That usually makes them track strait as an arrow.

Nice work!

Laine.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Looks great Chellie! Nice work. One thing I noticed in the last pictures. The winglets are pretty much flush with the bottom of the plane. If you find that it kinda "waggles" along in the air, droop them below the bottom of the tips about 1/4 -1/3. That usually makes them track strait as an arrow.

Nice work!

Laine.
You really know your wings Laine. Thanks for the tips....
Old 12-23-2007, 05:11 PM
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

I just take what I have learned from a bazillion other people, try it, make sure it works, then pass on the info! I aint nobody special.

I Just hope Chellies wing flys like a dream! It seems every time I make one super pretty, it gets scratched, wrinkled or tweeked on the first flight. I guess its just "breaking them in".

Hope this one is as nice lookin as it is now after the maiden!

good luck Chellie, take video if ya can.

Laine.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:11 PM
woolebugr
fighter of gravity

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
And Welcome to Wattflyers Woolebugr, I just noticed that your new here, This is a great forum, lots of super nice people here, and smart too, take care, Chellie
Thanks Chellie, I have learned a lot on this forum and since I don't have any friends who fly rc planes, it's been a great place to ask questions and share info.
Jeremy sent me a 4.1x4.1 APC prop with my Slingblade and I have a 30a esc and 3s 1200mAh battery I will be using with that Wicked Jr. motor. Jeremy "promises" me that I should see 100mph and maybe more with that combination. I only fly a Superfly right now and it's the first plane I have ever flown so even if it (Slingblade) doesn't quite reach 100mph, it will still be fast enough for me right now. I still get a little nervous flying my Superfly wot on 3s
Old 12-23-2007, 09:02 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
Hi Chellie ,
your new wing is coming along great. Good step by step pictures..
Hi Bruce thank you for the complements, its almost done this wing should be fun to fly, take care & have fun, Chellie
Old 12-23-2007, 09:07 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
Looks great and smoking fast without the real smoke we all hope. Because of its size don't let it get to far away from you the first few flight. That battery looks nice and tight and hope its held in with Velcro because ejecting one at speed can wreck your afternoon. Very nice work and can't wait to hear how it flies.
Hi Kosh thank you for the complements, yes it has a lot of heavy duty velcro on it i epoxyed the velcro to the bottom of the wing slot, so it should be ok, I know about not letting it get to far away from you, my little F16 with the 16" wing span, is fast, and it becomes a dot real quick, I have to stay on top of that one, I had to cut power and land it a few times when it got to far away from me, That taught me Take care, Chellie
Old 12-23-2007, 09:09 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Nice work!

Laine.

Thank you laine for the tip, I think I will do that before I fly it, and thank you for the complements, Take care, Chellie
Old 12-23-2007, 09:13 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by woolebugr View Post
Thanks Chellie, I have learned a lot on this forum and since I don't have any friends who fly rc planes, it's been a great place to ask questions and share info.
Jeremy sent me a 4.1x4.1 APC prop with my Slingblade and I have a 30a esc and 3s 1200mAh battery I will be using with that Wicked Jr. motor. Jeremy "promises" me that I should see 100mph and maybe more with that combination. I only fly a Superfly right now and it's the first plane I have ever flown so even if it (Slingblade) doesn't quite reach 100mph, it will still be fast enough for me right now. I still get a little nervous flying my Superfly wot on 3s
Wow you started with a Superfly delta thats a hard plane to fly, its great that you have been able to learn to fly that as a first plane, after flying that delta, you can fly any plane now, with no problems, this will be my first wing, so it should be interesting, take care, Chellie
Old 12-23-2007, 09:42 PM
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

So, when do you plan to maiden it Chellie? soon I hope?

Laine
Old 12-24-2007, 01:27 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

So, when do you plan to maiden it Chellie? soon I hope?

Laine
Hi Laine I took your advice, and made the winglets under the wing bigger, and added a skid as to have something to hold onto the wing with when I launch it, and I balanced it, It took 4 - 50 caliber 250 grain lead bullets to balance it so it will be a Flying bullet for sure for sure I wanted to fly it today, but it got a little late on me, Sooooo I will Maiden it Tuesday, I have to work Monday but if its a nice Day Tuesday, I will maiden it, and get some video too, take care, Chellie

Quick Reply: HYPER MINI BEE 100+ mph ? Hope so

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15921 seconds with 23 queries