Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

CG for CMP's P-47 40 nitro.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Default CG for CMP's P-47 40 nitro.

Hi everyone. I'm Mike and new to the hobby. I hope I'm posting this question in the right forum. Ok, I want to convert my CMP P-47 40 nitro to Electric. After doing some reading, I have discovered that alot of pilots don't agree with the CG of this plane per the manufacturer. Is there anyone out there who has converted this plane, that may possibly be able to tell me where they have set their CG? I have no idea on how to find it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:44 PM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

Start with 78MM from the LE.

Best of luck.

Tommy D
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P-47CG.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	50306  
Old 12-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Tommy. I'll let you know how everything turns out.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:44 AM
spudandcat

i was thinking of getting one of these for an elec conversion , so what happened mike , are they ok or what?. the rcg thread was pretty sure that the cog was way off and i reckons tommys starting point looks good.. anynews of your p47 would be great !!

thanks spud
Old 03-08-2008, 04:49 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tommytorino View Post
Start with 78MM from the LE.

Best of luck.

Tommy D
I agree with Tommy Its always best to have a plane thats a little nose heavy than tail heavy, a nose heavy plane will fly ok, a tail heavy plane will only fly once Good luck to you Mike on your build, Chellie
Old 03-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I'm still working on her. I need another Rx and she will be ready to go. I spent most of my time actaully acquiring all the parts for her. Almost there...I keep buying electric planes:p
Old 03-09-2008, 01:57 AM
spudandcat

mike , i know your pain , i have a shed full of them , i can only fly one at a time , but i keep collecting them ! and i'm just about to go out and get another one !! arrghhhh someone save me , the planes are taking over1

hehe seeyas spud
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0487.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	59011   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0486.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	59012  
Old 03-09-2008, 03:08 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I know, right? Hey, is that the seaplane from Banana Hobby I see in there? I've wanted to try that thing out but they're always out of stock...not to mention that I really don't care for their customer service. How does she fly and what's she like on the water?
Old 03-09-2008, 03:18 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Is that a beaver in the background of pic #2?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:32 AM
spudandcat

mike , i havent actually flown it yet ! but my mate who gave it to me has , it flies quite well but coz its pretty heavy it has a nasty stall . it is just a steady flier he reckons and he says he hasnt managed to get it off the water. when i get her setup ill give it a go..
GA ,yes that is the trusty old beaver , shes a bit beat up and has a bent gearbox shaft (i have heaps of spares just haven't fixed her yet )
i defiantly have to many planes and i just bought another one today arrghh!
a seagull at6 , its .40 - .60 gasser but i going to electrify her. gonna take me a while to save up for all the bits as i blew my budget for a while hehe.. i need another overseas trip but i dont wanna be away from the family. well i cant complain as we only do short trips compared to our U.S compatriots.
seeyas spud
Old 03-09-2008, 06:40 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by spudandcat View Post
mike , i havent actually flown it yet ! but my mate who gave it to me has , it flies quite well but coz its pretty heavy it has a nasty stall . it is just a steady flier he reckons and he says he hasnt managed to get it off the water. when i get her setup ill give it a go..
GA ,yes that is the trusty old beaver , shes a bit beat up and has a bent gearbox shaft (i have heaps of spares just haven't fixed her yet )
i defiantly have to many planes and i just bought another one today arrghh!
a seagull at6 , its .40 - .60 gasser but i going to electrify her. gonna take me a while to save up for all the bits as i blew my budget for a while hehe.. i need another overseas trip but i dont wanna be away from the family. well i cant complain as we only do short trips compared to our U.S compatriots.
seeyas spud
Thanks Spudandcat. I was looking at it before and I'm guessing she's pretty much under powered. I would probably go with a good upgrade...everything from the motor to...well...everything:p. I might even go with a different paint job as well. I'm still thinking on it. I'll let you know if I decide to pick one up...if they still carry it. Thanks again friend.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:17 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

How about the silver and yellow checkerd tail and nose?
Old 03-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Hey Tommy, what motor did you use? I want her to be electric. I have most of what I need except a Rx and the motor. I bought a 60amp ESC just in case. I know you can never go too big but you can go too small with an ESC. I hope I did good when picking a 60 amp to do the job. Also, did you have to build a motor mount on the fire wall for her? Any advice yiou could give me would be great. I know because she has a fiberglass fuselage, she's gonna be heavier that balsa. Thanks.

Mike
Old 03-10-2008, 01:43 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

You can get that seaplane from Grand Distribution under the "Gordo" name. I had one, it flies well. It's not a park flyer, it's a little faster than that. And it will get off the water, no problem...
Old 03-10-2008, 01:48 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by easytiger View Post
You can get that seaplane from Grand Distribution under the "Gordo" name. I had one, it flies well. It's not a park flyer, it's a little faster than that. And it will get off the water, no problem...
Thanks Easytiger. I've always wanted a seaplane. Still looking. Thanks again friend.

Mike
Old 03-11-2008, 10:09 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

By the way, I flew that P-47 some five years ago, maybe more. It was under the AMD brand name back then. I put maybe fifty flights on it, with a Saito 56 and Spring-air retracts, it was a lovely airplane. Can't remember the CG. Also have more recently built and flown the CMP P-40 and P-51. They are great models, but the CGs are wrong in the manual...
Old 03-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

By the way, I flew that P-47 some five years ago, maybe more. It was under the AMD brand name back then. I put maybe fifty flights on it, with a Saito 56 and Spring-air retracts, it was a lovely airplane. Can't remember the CG. Also have more recently built and flown the CMP P-40 and P-51. They are great models, but the CGs are wrong in the manual...
I have the P-51 from CMP as well! Along with the F4U Corsair. I'm wanting to build the P-47 first because it's the smaller of the three. I plan on flying my J-3 Piper Cub PNP from Hangar 9. Once i get comfortable with her, I'll start with my warbirds. Thanks easytiger, you've been awesome help!

Mike
Old 03-11-2008, 11:56 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

I had the P-51, also. Never did the Corsair. I would say you have a ways to go(no offense intended) before you should attempt to fly these.
Try some of the Guanli warbirds from Nitroplanes, they are cheap and fun and warbirds. I really like the little Guanli P-47, can't say enough nice things.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:58 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I had the P-51, also. Never did the Corsair. I would say you have a ways to go(no offense intended) before you should attempt to fly these.
Try some of the Guanli warbirds from Nitroplanes, they are cheap and fun and warbirds. I really like the little Guanli P-47, can't say enough nice things.
Yeah, no doubt. I'm not ignorant of my little experience. I definitely have a ways to go before flying those things. That's why I plan on flying my cub for a while until I'm ready. Thanks.

Mike
Old 03-12-2008, 02:55 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

No problem.
As an aside, I would do the P-47 before the P-51...it's a much more forgiving airplane. The CMP P-51 has a fairly high wing loading, and no washout, and it will tip stall if you get too slow. The P-47 is a pretty benign flyer, though. Don't go crazy adding weight to either one, though. Keep it stock, and fly it first, before thinking about detailing it out, adding more paint, stuff like that.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Will do. Thanks .
Old 06-26-2021, 09:40 PM
Wildchild

Would anyone have the instruction manual for this plane? I got one new in the box but itís missing the manual