Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
ditchit

Awards Showcase

5kW  150mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (0)
Default NEW HobbyKing / Avios Extra 330LX

HobbyKing and the Avios Team collaborated to provide this excellent rendition of the a real Extra 300 LX. The original planes color scheme was worked on by Italian designer Mirco Pecorari.

This latest plug and fly Extra is made of EPO foam with a realistic color scheme and is big enough at 1.4m wingspan to provide great presence in the air. It is powered by a 4240-600KV brushless outrunner with a 14x7 wood propeller.

No glue required. Takes minutes to assemble using a small number of screws. Wings lock into place and are released by using a button under each wing. Rudder is on closed loop system which I think is unique for a foamy but the mechanism used by all large scale composite aerobatic models so great to see. The scheme is great for visibility AND is well applied.

My flying in the video is from a first maiden flight using a 4S2700 pack which made it super light. I think 4S3300-4S3800 is probably the optimum pack size for weight for 3D/aerobatics and good flight time. I didn't go crazy being a first flight but the way it flew did inspire confidence to get it relatively low for the camera and have immediate fun with it.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:12 AM   #2
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery114
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (40)

Nice flying and looking plane.

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 01-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (17)

Obviously a good model - but the price is in the league of established brands such as EF etc.

So my question would be ..... Buy this in foam or EF in wood

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-18-2018, 05:15 AM   #4
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

View EpoweredRc's Gallery47
Club: Paulding County Model Aviation
Send a message via Yahoo to EpoweredRc
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Obviously a good model - but the price is in the league of established brands such as EF etc.

So my question would be ..... Buy this in foam or EF in wood

Nigel
Your not the first to compare that... but besides rcgagets, witch not sure how many people know about them, if you was to get a Balsa plane of the same size you would easily have $700-800 into it.. this is $311 right now shipped if your in the US... I have one on order can't wait to get it myself.. It be my first Avios model others say they like there planes

"I'ld rather be flying"

"B&D 1100 Cells and A123 2300 cells are my
best friends."

http://www.fancyfoam.com/
My clubs Site.
http://pcmaviation.org/NewIndex.htm
Old 01-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #5
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

All you need for the Hobbyking plane is a RX and a battery.

All you need for a EF plane is everything,

EF are great! I have 3 of them. A friend has a foam skinned Hobbyking plane and it flys great, he also has EF and PA too.

Guys, just let people fly what they want and can afford.

It's the cheaper planes that get people into the hobby, then they advance to the nicer looking more expensive planes.

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #6
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
All you need for the Hobbyking plane is a RX and a battery.

All you need for a EF plane is everything,

EF are great! I have 3 of them. A friend has a foam skinned Hobbyking plane and it flys great, he also has EF and PA too.

Guys, just let people fly what they want and can afford.

It's the cheaper planes that get people into the hobby, then they advance to the nicer looking more expensive planes.
Ive been in the hobby 28 years. I still fly foam planes nothing wrong with them, i normally feel more comfortable getting down on the deck with the larger Foam plane then i do the balsa ones since there easier to repair or don't need repair most of the time when they hit the ground
i have a Extreme flight 48" Edge 540 i love it but i wanted something bigger. always wanted the 60" EF but by time you buy all electronics its $800 for a 60 inch.. this plane is a 56" and only $300 yeah sure its foam but it looks like it flys nice and maybe if i destroyed it in a year i could move the electronics over to another plane maybe even a 52" balsa plane or something.

I really hope i enjoy this plane i was going to get the Mamba 10 from flex. its a foam bipe for about $350 after you add in shipping. its foam also

"I'ld rather be flying"

best friends."

My clubs Site.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #7
ditchit

Awards Showcase

5kW  150mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (0)

Out again for my second flying session with the Extra 330LX. I'm liking it more and more each time I fly it.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:15 AM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

deleted

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 01-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by EpoweredRc View Post
Ive been in the hobby 28 years. I still fly foam planes nothing wrong with them, i normally feel more comfortable getting down on the deck with the larger Foam plane then i do the balsa ones since there easier to repair or don't need repair most of the time when they hit the ground
i have a Extreme flight 48" Edge 540 i love it but i wanted something bigger. always wanted the 60" EF but by time you buy all electronics its $800 for a 60 inch.. this plane is a 56" and only $300 yeah sure its foam but it looks like it flys nice and maybe if i destroyed it in a year i could move the electronics over to another plane maybe even a 52" balsa plane or something.

I really hope i enjoy this plane i was going to get the Mamba 10 from flex. its a foam bipe for about $350 after you add in shipping. its foam also
I definitely would not need to spend $700 - $800 to have balsa equivalent ! Unless you want to buy Sebart or other such brand ... even then its less !

EF Extra 60" ..... or 48" etc.

So you have to add servos and a motor ... you are still in same ball-park. your post - dunno what gear you are buying - but that sure says to me you are paying way over whack !!

I am not saying the Avios is bad - but remember you are also paying for the RC Groups name on it ...

Nigel

Old 01-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #10
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

I definitely would not need to spend $700 - $800 to have balsa equivalent ! Unless you want to buy Sebart or other such brand ... even then its less !

EF Extra 60" ..... or 48" etc.

So you have to add servos and a motor ... you are still in same ball-park. your post - dunno what gear you are buying - but that sure says to me you are paying way over whack !!

I am not saying the Avios is bad - but remember you are also paying for the RC Groups name on it ...

Nigel
I just added it up the other night cause i would still love to have a 60-64" EF plane but its just way up there in cost
64" MXs $279
Torque 4016/500 Motor $95.00
80 amp Airboss Esc $66.99
HS-5245Mg (min servos rec.) $39.99 each X4=159.99
Servo arms (if you want to get all throw you can $24.00
$625.00 total without any shipping costs.
by time you add in a prop, servo extentions, spinner shipping your well at $700.00 sure you have a super nice plane but i could buy 2 planes for the price of that one.. I did get my Extra 330lx only gotten to fly it twice. i like it so far. I think my next plane will be the Mamba 10 from Flex i keep hearing such good things and i love bi planes. it be the largest i can fit in my blazer. as the Extra 330 barley fits i have to turn the tail sideways to get it to go in.i have a deck built in back my truck for my planes to go on top and boxes all go underneath

Flight of the Extra 330lx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUVW1N4PRF0&t=1s

"I'ld rather be flying"

best friends."

My clubs Site.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:20 AM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

If you insist on buying EF's packs - of course it gets expensive. I'm not implying the gear they sell is not good - of course it is, its also matched to the airframe.

But I am sure that most people are like me - they source budget gear that performs well and to be honest - you'd be hard pushed to tell difference.

Second - I have no need to add more motors / servos / gear to my stock ... I could buy an EF Extra and finish it from gear I already have ...

If you are a limited inventory person - then the Avios will suit you - but many people are not - they have gear sitting doing nothing.

The only way I would be interested in this model - would be to offer a Kit version without motor / servos etc. But I do not think price will drop that much - the 'licence fee' for example would still be applicable to RCG interests etc.
For me - it would need to be a plain unpainted version.

Nigel

Old 01-25-2018, 08:24 PM   #12
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

If you insist on buying EF's packs - of course it gets expensive. I'm not implying the gear they sell is not good - of course it is, its also matched to the airframe.

But I am sure that most people are like me - they source budget gear that performs well and to be honest - you'd be hard pushed to tell difference.

Second - I have no need to add more motors / servos / gear to my stock ... I could buy an EF Extra and finish it from gear I already have ...

If you are a limited inventory person - then the Avios will suit you - but many people are not - they have gear sitting doing nothing.

The only way I would be interested in this model - would be to offer a Kit version without motor / servos etc. But I do not think price will drop that much - the 'licence fee' for example would still be applicable to RCG interests etc.
For me - it would need to be a plain unpainted version.

Nigel
Well if you have the electronics then sure buy a EF or 3DHS but lots of us dont keep gear around. i have spares for my current planes most the time but not enough to build a new model.

"I'ld rather be flying"

best friends."

My clubs Site.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying