Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-22-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery7
Friends: (1)
Default Whoops

About 2 weeks ago my buddy had a repaired Teksumo that he wanted me to test fly. First flight was a bit erratic so I landed it and adjusted the reflex and then launched it again.
This time it flew out straight and then suddenly did a hard loop. I had trouble controlling it but it hit the ground fairly flat and only suffered a broken prop.
We gave it away for the day and last Saturday he decided to fly his X5 Wing.
Now they fly really well but as he was poking around up in the blue it suddenly decided to do a couple of hard rolls. Luckily he was high enough that he managed to recover OK. He finished the battery with no further surprises and landed safely and changed batteries.
He commented about the rolls and decided he had just lost orientation, after all, a Taranis never causes problems does it.
Next flight I launched his X5 and it flew out nice and straight and suddenly did a steep climb ending in a loop and nose dive into the ground. He was very confused and packed up and went home. See photo.
Anyway I help him out a lot so I suggested he bring his irrepairable plane around home and I would see if I could fix it for him. It wasn't too much of a problem and in about a half hour it was all straightened out and glued back together as good as it was.
He kept mentioning that he thought there may be a problem with the TX as this same thing happened to his TekSumo that I had tested.

So I fired up his TX and X5 and went through the usual wiggle tests and all was working normally. I then tapped the TX and 'bingo' the elevator went full up. I wiggled the stick and no response. I tapped the TX again and hey presto it was all working again. Tapped it again and elevator went hard up again. This was 100% repeatable.
Now my good friend had fitted Hall Effect Gimbals into his TX. There had been nothing wrong with his old gimbals and I questioned why he would bother doing this. I refused to do my TX the same as I believe if it aint broke, don't 'fix' it.

I opened up his TX and sure enough the gimbal connecting plugs just hadn't been seated in properly. They are quite tight so he probably thought they were OK. I secured the plugs and re-assembled his TX and re-checked the operation. No problems showed up. It was operating perfectly.

So if you have the desire to fit Hall Effect Gimbals in your Taranis (X9D) ensure that the plugs are properly seated or it will cost you a plane.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0526.JPG (601.1 KB, 55 views)
Old 01-22-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery114
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (40)

Hard way to learn a lesson but you were able to fix his plane and transmitter.

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings